Conditions of issue and use of the Network Railcard
ATOC Limited enters into the contract for the issue and use of the Network Railcard on behalf of the Train Companies. Reference to a 'Train Company', or the 'Train Companies' means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Rail Services within the area identified on the Network Railcard area map.
1) You must sign the Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the conditions listed below. The Network Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given, loaned or resold to anyone else.
2) You must be aged 16 years or over to purchase a Network Railcard.
3) Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.
3) You must carry the Network Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Network Railcard. If you fail to do so, you and, where applicable, each member of your group will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting your journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.
4) You will be asked to pay the difference between the price of your discounted ticket and the full Standard fare (or the Penalty Fare if travelling in the Penalty Fares area) if:
a) you travel beyond the station for which your ticket is issued;
b) you travel to a destination beyond the area shown on the map in this leaflet, without having first obtained the correct ticket for your journey;
c) you travel on a route for which a higher fare applies or at a time when reduced fares do not apply.
5) Network Railcard discounts only apply for travel after 10.00hrs Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays) and any time on weekends. See time restrictions page for more details.
6) A £13 minimum fare applies to all journeys Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. A £1 minimum fare applies to child fares at all times. Travelcard minimum fares also apply - see minimum fares page for details. Please note, minimum fares are subject to change during the validity of your Railcard.
7) The maximum group size is up to four adults (aged 16 years and over) and four children (aged 5 - 15 years).
8) Additional accompanying passengers for whom discounted tickets are purchased must travel with the Railcard holder throughout the journey.
9) Discounted tickets entitle you to travel only in Standard accommodation on the services of the participating Train Companies.
10) The Network Railcard and tickets issued to the holder are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the conditions listed on this website (and, where appropriate, to the Conditions of Carriage of Transport for London, Red Funnel Ferries and Wightlink). Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/nrcoc.
11) The Network Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. The Train Companies do not undertake to replace damaged, lost or stolen Railcards, or to issue refunds on unused/unwanted Railcards. However, application for the replacement of a Railcard may be made at a staffed station ticket office in the Network Railcard area. A £10 administration fee will be payable for the replacement of a damaged or lost Railcard and the completed 'Receipt' section of the original application form must be produced. No fee will be charged for the replacement of a stolen Railcard upon presentation of a crime reference number/documentation issued by the Police. In all cases, you will be requested to show some form of identification if obtaining a replacement from a station.
12) The Network Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
13) The right is reserved to revise these conditions and availability of the tickets detailed on the Network Railcard website. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months' notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
These Conditions are valid up to and including 7 September 2013.
Train Companies providing Network Railcard discounts:
Chiltern Railways †
East Coast †
East Midland Trains
First Capital Connect
First Great Western †
Greater Anglia †
South West Trains (including Island Line)
Virgin Trains †
Network Railcard discounts are available for journeys on Gatwick Express services between Gatwick Airport and Brighton. On Mondays to Fridays (except Bank Holidays) passengers holding Network Railcard discounted tickets can travel on selected Gatwick Express train services from London Victoria to Haywards Heath or beyond during the evening peak - see Easements for further details.
List correct at 19 May 2013.